Wasatch High School Rugby
WHS Rugby’s primary goal is to promote the development of WHS High School students in the context of expanding athletic ability, teamwork, and character. WHS Rugby provides students the opportunity to experience a high-performance atmosphere where teammates can explore what it means to be fully dedicated to one common goal (playing the highest level of rugby they are capable of) and learn how to grow from both successes and failures.
Who we Are!
We are Wasatch High School Rugby WASPS, and our mission is to develop, promote, and foster an environment in which participation in the sport of Rugby enhances the life experiences of the youth athletes and families we serve regardless of race, religion, gender, and socioeconomic status.
• Create a pathway for athletic excellence and lifelong character development
• Develop, promote, and grow the sport of youth rugby in the area
WHS Rugby Teams are guided by* 5 core values*:
1. Teamwork: We play selflessly: working for the team, not for ourselves alone, both on and off the field. We take pride in our team, rely on one another and understand that each player has a part to play.
2. Respect: Mutual respect forms the basis of our sport. We hold in high esteem our sport, its values and traditions and earn the respect of others in the way we behave. We respect our match officials and accept their decisions. We respect opposition players and supporters. We value our coaches and those who run our program.
3. Enjoyment: Enjoyment is the reason we play and support rugby. We encourage players to enjoy training and playing. We use our sport to adopt a healthy lifestyle and build life skills. We enjoy being part of a team and part of the rugby family.
4. Discipline: Strong discipline underpins our sport. We ensure that our sport is one of controlled physical endeavor and will maintain our discipline by training and competing as hard as possible. We observe/support our laws, regulations, and disciplinary system of the game which ensure an inclusive and exciting sport. We, which protects our sport and upholds its values.
5. Sportsmanship: Sportsmanship is the foundation upon which rugby union is built. We uphold the rugby tradition of camaraderie with teammates and opposition. We observe fair play both on and off the pitch and are generous in victory and dignified in defeat. We ensure that the wellbeing and development of individual players is central to all rugby activity.
These core values are at the heart of everything we do at Wasatch Rugby and are shared by all who play the game. They are the foundation of Wasatch Rugby’s long-term success. The WHS Rugby team offers an inclusive environment no matter your height, weight, strength, or previous athletic success.
What we Do!
WHS Rugby is sanctioned by USA Rugby and Utah Youth Rugby and we support high school and youth league rugby programs for boys and girls through centralized administration, infrastructure, and development programs in Wasatch and surrounding Counties. We develop and deliver specialized player development programs for all members of WHS Rugby. We develop our student-athletes to play at their highest potential in-state league play, regional and invitational tournaments, and high-performance development camp teams. This development path provides for potential involvement with the Utah Youth All-State High-Performance Program (Utah Cannibals), numerous collegiate exposure opportunities, High School All-Americans, and possibly USA national team.
WHS Rugby Coaches and Administrators are all dedicated volunteers who are very passionate about the game of rugby and the development of our players.
Debby Walker – Team Manager and Parent/School Coordinator, 801-755-1856, firstname.lastname@example.org
Megan Gabler – Student Club President, email@example.com
Director of Rugby and Head Coach – Patrick Whalen, 918-760-7703, firstname.lastname@example.org is a former USA Eagle and Professional Rugby player. He has over 25 years playing the game of rugby and is in his 4th year coaching WHS boys and girls.
Asst. Coach – Michele Olpin, 435-764-0349, email@example.com is a former Utah State Women’s player.
Asst. Coach – Michael Topp, 302-397-7781, M_topp@hotmail.com is our resident Kiwi from the Rugby Nation of New Zealand who played at the elite Kelston Rugby Academy from grade school through high school.
WHS Rugby: WE ARE WASPS!
Website = www.wasatchrugby.com
Facebook = Wasatch High School Rugby
Twitter = @wasatchrugby
Wasatch High School
The Rugby Pitch is located directly west of the school gym between the school and football stadium.
930 South 500 East , Heber City, Utah, US